Monday 31 December 2012

Amaechi Names Road after Azazi



General Andrew Azazi

Rivers State Governor and Chairman of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum (NGF), Mr. Rotimi  Amaechi, has named the Nkpogu Road (now under reconstruction) after the late National Security Adviser (NSA), General Owoye Andrew Azazi, for his numerous contributions to nation building and sterling qualities.

Amaechi, who spoke at the funeral service on Saturday, in honour of late Azazi at Yenagoa, Bayelsa State, said: “Looking at the numerous contributions and sterling qualities of late General Azazi to this nation, and his love towards me, whom he usually calls my younger brother, I am left with no option than to name Nkpogu road after him by Monday.”

While expressing the deep pain of the death of Azazi before the bereaved families and the people of Bayelsa State, Amaechi said his relationship with the late retired general had been close and private.

“Most time when I get to Lagos and Abuja, I eat in late General Azazi’s house, we have a private relationship, but now, he is gone, who will call me my younger brother, where will I eat when I visit Lagos or Abuja,” Amaechi lamented.

“He is a true detribalised Nigerian. It was my wife, Dame Judith Amaechi that first called my attention on phone that, shortly after she had left Bayelsa State, information reaching her indicated that there had been an helicopter crash, it could be the helicopter carrying late General Azazi, I called his (Azazi) line 20 times to confirm the unfortunate incident, but no one answered,” Amaechi explained.

Speaking further, Amaechi assured the people of Bayelsa State of his administration’s commitment to support the bereaved families whenever his attention was needed.

“If there is anything that you want me to do for you (the bereaved families), in the form of support or assistance, please, kindly call my attention,” the governor stated.
Amaechi equally thanked President Goodluck Jonathan and his wife, Patience, and the Bayelsa State Government for the befitting burial accorded to Azazi.

“I wish to thank President Goodluck Jonathan, and his wife, and the Bayelsa State Government for the befitting burial accorded late General Azazi,” he said.

Also speaking, President Jonathan commended Amaechi’s decision to name Nkpogu road after Azazi, describing it as a welcome development.

“I commend Governor Amaechi on the decision to name the Nkpogu road after late General Azazi, it is indeed a welcome development,” Jonathan said

No comments:

Post a Comment