Thursday 12 July 2012

Get to Know Nigerian-American Designers, William Okpo

Insert Boss Magazine
 

Most stylish New Yorkers:

Lizzy and Darlene Okpo –time-out The designer sisters model their eclectic, comfortable style. Darlene stacks bracelets she bought at a market in Nigeria around a Forever 21 watch. “It doesn’t work, but that doesn’t stop me from wearing it every single day,” she laughs. She also purchased her knuckle ring from the fast-fashion chain.


Sisters Darlene and Lizzy Okpo behind the label William Okpo established in 2010 unveiled their latest collection on the Gen Art runway during London Fashion Week.
The collection brings a fresh serving of colour blocking in the shades of jade green, mustard,hot pink as well as more muted tones of and playful vibrant checks on an array of woolen outer wear, tailored trousers and blazers, colour blocked shirt dresses and candy coloured stripey crop tops. Oversized utility coats, a neon PVC jacket and sheer PVC caps also added a playful touch to the continuation of summer’s sports luxe trend into Autumn 2012 by the label.
Lizzy Okpo, 20, designer at William Okpo, Staten Island; and Darlene Okpo, 24, creative director at William Okpo (williamokpo.com), Crown Heights, Brooklyn
Lizzy’s personal style: “Hip old lady.”
Darlene’s personal style: “Simple, bold and comfortable. I love pieces that can be worn on their own without pairing too many items with them.”
Lizzy’s inspirations: “I’m unsure where my inspiration comes from, but I love things that look effortless and beautiful.”
Darlene’s inspirations: “Honestly, I respect the older generation: I love observing older people’s style, like my dad’s. Everything is clean and simple with a little splash of fun.” 
Lizzy’s favorite stores: “Opening Ceremony (locations throughout the city; visit openingceremony.us for more info) is such an innovative company. I like the idea of the Olympics as the seasonal themes—it’s a great way to introduce designers from all around the world. Convenience stores are my weekly field trips; Lot Less (locations throughout the city; visit lot-less.com for more info) has everything from office supplies and cozy socks to groceries at amazing prices. Canal Jeans (2236 Nostrand Ave between Aves H and I, Flatbush, Brooklyn; 718-421-7590) has great vintage bargains. I’m talking real bargains, not vintage finds with contemporary pricing.”
Darlene’s favorite stores: “Canal Jeans is my favorite thrift store in Brooklyn. I can literally buy a brand-new wardrobe for around $50. You can never go wrong with H&M (locations throughout the city; visit hm.com); you can always find a cool, inexpensive piece there. Vice Versa (241 Bedford Ave between North 3rd and 4th Sts, Williamsburg, Brooklyn; 718-782-8847, viceversavintage.com) is a cool vintage shop in Williamsburg. And who doesn’t love Opening Ceremony, which carries the coolest emerging designers?”
Lizzy’s signature accessories: “My quartz crystal, my hair jewelry, my finger jewelry, my wrist blingage and my shell anklet. I wear these items every day.”
Darlene’s signature garment: “My cargo jacket; I have four different types of army-green cargo jackets. I really don’t know why I am so infatuated with this item of clothing, but you can always find me in one.”
Lizzy’s favorite designer: “Rachel Comey (rachelcomey.com) never seems to disappoint me, with her vintage-inspired collections and her wooden shoes. It’s beautiful and made for me. I like Opening Ceremony’s women’s and men’s collections as well. All of my Opening Ceremony pieces are part of my everyday attire.”
Darlene’s favorite designer: “I don’t really have a favorite, but I do admire 3.1 Phillip Lim (31philliplim.com). I think his design aesthetic is very clean and he knows what a girl wants.”
How Lizzy’s style has evolved through the years: “I was very sporty when I was a kid. My eldest sister was responsible for my clothing, and she would dress me in Gap Kids. Now, I’ve evolved into dressing like an old lady who has 50 cats.”
How Darlene’s style has evolved through the years: “I don’t concentrate on trends; I go by how I feel. I don’t look in the mirror and say to myself, Who do I want to look like today? My style is me, and I love it.”



No comments:

Post a Comment