Tuesday 9 July 2013

Uzodimma: I Have No Objection to Public Scrutiny of My Academic Records

Senator Hope Uzodimma



The Senator representing Imo West senatorial district in the National Assembly, Senator Hope Uzodimma, has declared that he has no objection to public scrutiny of his academic records as he has no skeleton in the cupboards.

Reacting to the suit filed by a Lagos-based lawyer, Festus Keyamo, asking a Federal High Court to grant him (Keyamo) leave to apply for an order compelling the West African Examination Council (WAEC) to release the original copy of his (Uzodimma) West African Senior School Certificate (WASSC), Uzodimma said he would not lose sleep over the matter as his academic records were genuine.

The senator, who at present on the President Goodluck Jonathan’s delegation to China, in a statement signed by his Media Aide,  Hon. Declan Emelumba, affirmed that he graduated from the Mgbidi Boys’ Secondary  School, Imo State, where he obtained his WAEC certificate.

“If WAEC is refusing to give Keyamo my results as he
alleged, let him go to the school, verify and obtain my result. Still, he can come to me and I will make a copy available to him if he so wishes.

“As a public figure, security agencies  carried out  several checks on me before allowing me  to contest the senatorial election  in 2011 and at no time was I found wanting or my academic credentials in doubt .

“It is therefore funny that people will wake up and begin to say things to suit their purpose.

“I have severally been accused of certificate forgery by the same people but it has turned out to be unfounded but only in the minds of those that make these allegations.

“This would not be the first time Keyamo will go to court for my sake.

“In 2010, during the run up to the 2011 general elections, he petitioned my party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) over my credentials and integrity to contest for an elective office. He alleged so many things  but in the end, my party found these to be false and  baseless and I was cleared leading to my winning  the election by garnering 85,042 votes ahead of my  closest rival and former Imo State Governor, Achike Udenwa, who polled 64,228 votes,” he explained.


Uzodimma however accused a former senator who he said was aggrieved over his defeat in the last election, for recruiting Keyamo to denigrate his (Uzodimma) person, stressing that a serving governor from the South-east region has now joined the fray to distract and discredit him ahead of the 2015 polls because of his (Uzodimma) clout and popularity among the people. He therefore appealed to his constituents to remain calm as he was taking all the necessary legal options to address the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment